Easy Poncho Instruction for Women
This is free pattern instruction of women poncho.
we try to very easy explain for much people to make it.
Knitting Needle Size: 8 or 5 mm, 17 or 12.75 mm, Circular Knitting Needles
Yarn Weight: (7) Jumbo
- RED HEART® Boutique Twilight™: 9948 Romantic (A) – 10 (12) balls
- RED HEART® With Love®: 1541 Grape Jam (B) – 1 skein
- Susan Bates® Knitting Needles:
- 12.75mm [US 17] 36” (90cm) or longer circular needle (for Poncho)
- 12.75mm [US 17] 16” (40 cm) circular needle (for Collar)
- 5mm [US 8] straight needles (for Pockets)
- Stitch marker
- Yarn needle
Finished Width: 51 (58)” (129.5 (147.5) cm)
Finished Length: 21 (23)” (53.5 (58.5) cm) long (not including collar)
A, B = Color A, Color B
k = knit
p = purl
st(s) = stich(es)
* = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated.
7 sts = 4” (10 cm); 7 rows = 3” (7.5 cm) in Double Moss st using circular needle and A.
16 sts = 4” (10 cm); 20 rows = 4” (10 cm) in Double Moss st using straight needles and B.
CHECK YOUR GAUGE. Use any size needles to obtain the gauge.
kfb (Knit into front and back) = Knit next stitch but do not remove from needle, knit into back loop of same stitch and remove from needle.
2×2 Ribbing (multiple of 4 sts + 2)
Row 1: K2, *p2, k2; repeat from * across.
Row 2: P2, *k2, p2; repeat from * across.
Repeat Rows 1 and 2 for 2×2 Ribbing.
Double Moss Stitch (multiple of 4 sts + 2)
Rows 1 and 4: K2, *p2, k2; repeat from * across.
Rows 2 and 3: P2, *k2, p2; repeat from * across.
Repeat Rows 1–4 for Double Moss stitch.
- Poncho is worked from lower back edge up to the shoulders, divided to form neck opening, and then worked down to lower front edge.
- Longer circular needle is used to accommodate width of Poncho fabric. Work back and forth in rows on circular needle as if working with straight needles.
With longer circular needle and A, cast on 90 (102) sts.
Work in 2×2 Ribbing pattern for 5 rows.
Work in Double Moss st until piece measures about 21 (23)” (53.5 (58.5) cm) from beginning.
Divide for Neck
Row 1: Work in Double Moss st over first 36 (42) sts, bind off center 18 sts loosely (for neck), continue in Double Moss st to end of row.
Row 2: Work in Double Moss st over first 36 (42) sts, cast on 18 sts, continue in Double Moss st to end of row.
Work in Double Moss st until front measures same as back to lower ribbing. Work in 2×2 Ribbing for 6 rows. Bind off loosely.
With right side facing, shorter circular needle and A, pick up and k36 sts evenly spaced around neck edge. Place marker for beginning of round and prepare to work in rounds.
Round 1: *K1, kfb; repeat from * around—54 sts.
Round 2: *K1, p1; repeat from * around.
Repeat Round 2 until Collar measures about 8” (20.5 cm). Bind off loosely.
POCKETS (make 2)
With straight needles and B, cast on 30 sts. Work in Double Moss st until piece measures about 7½” (19 cm) from beginning. Bind off loosely.
Sew Pockets to front of Poncho, just above ribbing and centered about 16” (40.5 cm) apart. Weave in ends.